Sunday, May 10, 2015

Emancipated by M.G. Reyes


Six kids, all emancipated, move into a small California beach house. All of them have a secret that they are keeping from each other. Grace and Candace are there so that Candace can finally become the actress that she's always wanted to be. John-Michael is there since his father died and he has no where else to go. Paolo, Lucy, and Maya are all also emancipated and part of the group. All of them couldn't be more different, but can they somehow make it work, paying the bills and having fun at the same time?

I had quite a few problems with this book. I felt it was too cliché and all of the characters were quite snobby. They gossiped about each other constantly and were always eager to find out the dirt about one another. I felt that this made the group dynamic drop to all time lows and it made the book feel like it took place in some Junior High.

The drama contributed to the book in some ways. It helped fuel the questions that I had and made me enthusiastically keep reading. It also added to my overall feelings on emancipation and whether I would ever consider it (unfortunately, I would not).

I did not like the multiple POV's and that also lowered my rating. I felt myself getting confused and frustrated, especially with some of the things the characters did.
My favorite character was Maya, how she didn't fit in with the rest of the group and was younger than the rest of them. The other characters I couldn't really connect with and that sort of made the book less emotional than it could have been.

The writing was pretty good and the plot moved steadily even though the beginning was slow. Overall, I would recommend this for a friend that wants a book with a lot of drama.

****Thank you HarperCollins and EpicReads for supplying me with an ARC of this book!****

Thanks for reading!
~Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment