Saturday, May 30, 2015

Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge

 Rachelle had a perfect life before she was turned into a bloodbound. She was her aunt's apprentice, someday hoping to be a Woodwife to protect her village from dark magic. Then everything changed. Forced by the Forestborn to murder her aunt, she turned into a bloodbound. She protects the kingdom from woodspawn, killing them every day and looked down upon by the rest of the kingdom. Then she meets the King's illegitimate son, Armand, and everything changes. Somehow after being turned into a Bloodbound he managed to not kill anyone and not be killed himself, only losing his hands. But how did he manage that? And how long will it take before Rachelle succumbs to the Great Forrest and becomes a Forestborn?

Just like Cruel Beauty, I absolutely loved this book. It was every bit as enjoyable and it may have kept my interest even better. Both of them will definitely be making my mental list of favorite books.

I'm not going to lie to you- this book was dark. Death, murder- it had it all. That somehow didn't make it scary or quite push it farther into the horror genre though, it just sort of made it have layers just like the staircase on the cover depicts. I felt like there were so many different stories mixed into this but somehow the story wasn't confusing and it made sense.

I love this author's writing style. It is very rhythmic and I loved how all the words just seemed to belong in the order they were put in. I will honestly read anything by her!

Rachelle was definitely a kick-butt character just like Nyx. Definitely no Mary-Sues here! She never seemed to depend on Armand and I love the message that is sending out to teens everywhere- you don't need a guy to take care of you and you can do almost anything yourself.

It was a nice change of pace how Rachelle owned up to her actions and apologized and made things right after she would do anything wrong. If she jumped to the wrong conclusion about something and got mad, she thought over it and realized that she might be wrong. This helped her maintain good relationships with most of the people in her life, even though at times I felt she was sort of a pushover. I understand that characters can't be absolutely perfect though, otherwise they get boring.

I wish at the end Rachelle could have been able to make things right with her family. They pretty much kicked her out after she became a bloodbound, but she could do nothing about that so I think they weren't completely fair. I wish that they could have apologized or something, but I guess that's just life.

I loved the open ending in this. It sort of implies a future with Armand, and I'm glad the reader gets to imagine that themselves.

If you haven't read anything by Rosamund Hodge, go out RIGHT NOW and get one of her books! Trust me, you'll be obsessed!

*** Thanks to HarperCollins and EpicReads for sending me an ARC of this book! I really appreciate it!***

Thanks for reading!
~Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment