Monday, June 15, 2015

Hearts Made Whole by Judy Hedlund
After Caroline's father dies she continues to take care of their lighthouse, but soon the lighthouse committee decides a man needs to be in charge of it. Ryan Chambers is picked for the job but quickly realizes he doesn't know how to run a lighthouse. On top of that he can't kick Caroline and what's left of her family out on the streets. They quickly form a bond but with his past coming back to him will he finally be able to let go and start his future?

I really liked this book. The ways it deals with love and loss were realistic and I could really understand both Caroline and Ryan's feelings. I found them to be strong, realistic characters. I loved how Caroline would do anything for her family and how unselfish she was.

The plot moved very smoothly and there didn't seem to be any "loose strings" at the end. I loved how it showed that their story was over and when/if there is going to be another edition to the Beacons of Hope collection there are going to be different characters. I have not read the first one yet, but after how good this one was I will definitely be checking it out soon!

The romance in this book was really sweet. I liked how it eventually turned into real love, but until that could happen they had to face some major obstacles and loss. It was really realistic to me.

I was cool to learn that the characters in this book were based on real people. After reading I felt like that part made the book even better and it really made me respect the women from the past that helped to make gender equality how it is today. I'm not sure I would have had the courage to stand up like that and I really feel thankful that they did what they did. I've never really thought about any of that first hand until I read this book.

If you haven't read this book yet, go out and do so right now! Even though it is not YA I would still say it is suitable for teens and that it will help them see the world in a whole new way.

***Thanks go out to Bethany House for supplying me with a review copy of this book. This did not influence my rating or review in any way.***

Thanks for reading!
~Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment