Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider
When Lane is sent to Latham House to try and overcome his tuberculosis, he never expects to meet Sadie. But will they both find a way to survive? And even if they do, how will they manage to stay together living so far from each other? Will they find a way to fall in love?
 
Honestly, I think the characters were the best aspect of this story. They showed so much love and elevated the amount of heartbreak in the story. If you are trying to find a cute summer romance that is about as fluffy as it gets, this is not for you. It is like an even sadder Fault in Our Stars, and weirdly I loved almost every moment of it.
 
So, if you haven't figured it out from my little blurb, both Lane and Sadie have tuberculosis like 99% of the characters in this book. They are both taking it day by day, living every one to its fullest. When they meet, at first Sadie hates Lane, but slowly learns she misunderstood him and that he actually might not be so bad. The process takes a while and she sort of annoyed me by how rude she was to him, but slowly I started to root for them to find a way to be together and somehow survive long enough to be able to get better and leave Latham House.
 
The plot was very evenly-paced and that made me stay interested in it better. I have been sort of having a problem not being able to get into books lately and I haven't had many posts because of that, but this book really helped me get out of that! If you're having trouble getting into books like I was, I really recommend trying a genre you usually might shy away from- for me that's realistic fiction. It helped me!!!
 
No spoilers, I'm just going to say that the ending was heartbreaking. I won't say if anyone breaks up, or if anyone dies so you'll have to read and find out. Just telling you now though, I just about cried and I didn't even cry when I read the Fault in Our Stars. Yep.... Its THAT sad. I can't say I didn't see it coming though, I found some foreshadowing throughout the book that hinted at it.
 
***Thanks go out to HarperTeen, Katherine Tegen Books, and EpicReads for supplying me with an ARC of this book! I really appreciate it. This did not influence my review or rating in any way.***
 
Thanks for reading!
~Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment