Sunday, April 5, 2015

Moonlands by Steven Seville
I received this book from Netgalley. This did not influence my review in any way.

Synopsis from Netgalley:

Ashley Hawthorne thinks of herself as the Cuckoo Girl. No matter where she is it feels like she doesn’t quite belong.

Everything changes when her eccentric aunt, Elspeth Grimm, leaves her the key to a safety deposit box in a bank that was destroyed during the Blitz. That box contains the first part of her true inheritance: an umbrella, a battered old notebook, a pair of aviator’s goggles and a locket. Each of these gifts is a unique part of who she really is.

Elspeth is a Grimm, a descendent of the brothers who purged this world of monsters by trapping them within the Concord. She is the Oracle. A keeper of all the knowledge we have amassed about the creatures of the Fae and other worlds. And someone intent on destroying the Concord has murdered her!

When Ashley looks through the goggles that night she sees curious creatures on the roof of the house across the street watching her. To the naked eye they look like crows but they are not. It is the first glimpse of the other place—the place where she will finally belong.
The journal is crammed full of things, but there’s no actual writing in it. Ash decides she’s going to use the book as a journal, and begins the first entry: My name is Ashley Hawthorne. The ink fades so she writes it again. My name is Ashley Hawthorne. Again the ink fades. She tries again and again until the ink scratches out an entirely different first line: That is not who you are!
 

In some ways this book was exactly what I have been looking for in a paranormal book for a long time. It was very original and really kept my interest. I had quite a few problems with many things though.

The love interest, Blaze, was very confusing. I liked how he had a bad side, but could also be very sweet. On the other hand, I did not like how he had to eat people. This really grossed me out, but at the same time I wish that authors could be brave like that and have other love interests so imperfect. If Edward Cullen had to kill people when he knew Bella, maybe she wouldn't have been quite so okay with finding out he was a vampire (then again, maybe not- Bella would probably still be in "love" with him... She wasn't the smartest main character).

I had the same feeling with the writing style. I liked it but then I didn't. The writing was good, but I felt like the author was trying too hard. Some sentences didn't quite make sense, like the author was trying to add too much into them.

I wish I could give this book more than 3 stars, but I honestly can't. There were just too many mixed feelings for me, and just like in real life relationships those are the ones that aren't lasting or good. If there is a sequel someday I will be reading it in a heartbeat though.

I really think that you should go out and try this book if you're looking for something unique.

Thanks for reading!
~Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment