Sunday, September 6, 2015

Review: Evermore by Alyson Noel

1/5 Stars
Pages: 306
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: February 3rd 2009
ISBN: 9780312532758

After a horrible accident claims the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom can see people's auras, hear their thoughts, and know someone's entire life story by touching them. Going out of her way to avoid human contact to suppress her abilities, she has been branded a freak at her new high school — but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste.
Damen is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy. He's the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head - wielding a magic so intense, it's as though he can peer straight into her soul. As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she's left with more questions than answers. And she has no idea just who he really is - or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is that she's falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.


YA paranormal books are always hit or misses with me. This unfortunately was one of many misses. It had the usual "different" main character, the guy who acts like a jerk towards her one minute and the next acts like she's the only one for him, and of course insti-love. I definitely did not enjoy it.

There was so much telling instead of showing. We were TOLD that Ever felt guilty and missed her family, but there was never any crying, she never even seemed to show that she missed her parents. I honestly think that she missed her dog more than them. At least her sister was sort of a ghost (I don't know exactly what she was, it was never explained) and she saw her every day but she just seemed to take that for granted and never even seemed to wonder why she wasn't with her parents. She was a pretty dumb character, even though she apparently could ace tests with her "special powers".

Damon was the "perfect" guy, the made up prince in a fairytale. He was rich, Ever said that he was cute (again, telling not showing) and of course he showed interest in Ever. He's mysterious but nice to Ever, even though she is kind of an outcast. Overall, he was to good to be true and I hated that. All the girls seem to like him but of course he picks our main character, Ever, for no real reason whatsoever. It was cheesy and I hate how this happens all the time in YA. I want a REAL relationship that evolves over time. I don't mind if the book has any paranormal elements, that would actually be a bonus. I have yet to find that book.

The writing is actually pretty good but even that couldn't redeem the book for me. I really didn't like it.

I would definitely not recommend this book. I first read it a couple of years ago, before I even had Goodreads, and even then I thought it was pretty bad. I decided to try to reread the whole series but after the train wreck that is the second book I know I won't be able to make it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment