Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Review: Chivalrous by Dina L. Sleiman

2/5 Stars
368 Pages
Publisher: Bethany House
Release Date: September 1st, 2015
ISBN: 9780764213137

 Strong and adventurous Gwendolyn Barnes longs to be a knight like her chivalrous brothers. However, that is not an option for her, not even in the Arthurian-inspired Eden where she dwells. Her parents view her only as a marriage pawn, and her domineering father is determined to see her wed to a brutish man who will break her spirit.

When handsome, good-hearted Allen of Ellsworth arrives in Edendale searching for his place in the world, Gwendolyn spies in him the sort of fellow she could imagine marrying. Yet fate seems determined to keep them apart. Tournaments, intrigue, and battles--along with twists and turns aplenty--await these two as they struggle to find love, identity, and their true destinies.


I'll admit that I expected a lot better after the first book. Even though that one was just okay it was still at least entertaining. I can't say the same about this one unfortunately. I definitely had some problems with it.

First of all the insti-love. Drives me crazy every single time. I understand that this takes place in the middle ages, but give me a break. After talking two, maybe three times they are completely in love. No. Not for me.

This book was pretty cheesy. Some of Allen's thoughts actually made me laugh they were so romantic and yet too unrealistic. Also, the battle scenes were really unrealistic and it never really described who was injured in them and it never even introduced half the people fighting in them. It was just to unrealistic for me.

The best part of the book was the writing and the historical details. I love reading about this time period so that part was interesting for me. The plot moved smoothly and that and the fact that I enjoyed the first book were the reasons I kept with this book.

Overall I'm not sure if I would recommend this. Definitely not for YA even though that's sort of the age group its aimed for. I guess if you want a read that will get you thinking this would be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment