Sunday, July 5, 2015

Endangered by Kate Jaimet
All Hayley wants to do over the summer is to write articles in her father's newspaper. Finally getting a big case with a possible murder, she is extremely excited, but quickly disappointed when she is forced to go on a boat trip so that she can pass the class preventing her from graduating. What seems like a boring trip to find a turtle soon turns into a full-out police case with drug-dealing and shootings. Is the endangered turtle somehow connected to the murder?

I requested this book the same time as I requested The Shadow of Seth and to be completely honest I was way more interested in this book. The other one sounded good, but this one attracted me with all the talk of the rare, endangered turtle. Endangered sort of disappointed me while The Shadow of Seth really surprised me. For some reason this one just really fell flat for me.

The main character, Hayley, sort of annoyed me. I didn't really like how it didn't really faze her that she was so very close to graduating and she would rather be a reporter than graduate from high school. I'm sorry to say it, but if in 20 years her father doesn't have his newspaper business she will never be able to get a job at another one without at least a high school diploma. She would be broke with no job. I know this isn't a real story, but sometimes characters annoy me when stuff like this happens.

I might have enjoyed this more if I had some background knowledge in reporting or the newspaper business, but since I do not I found myself getting a little bored. Overall it was an okay book for me but I can honestly say that I liked The Shadow of Seth more. I might recommend this to you because of what your interests might be, but I think I would be more likely to recommend The Shadow of Seth if you are looking for a fast-paced YA mystery.

***Thanks go out to the publisher, Poisoned Pen Press, for sending me an ARC of this book and The Shadow of Seth to read and review. This did not influence either review or rating in any way.***

Thanks for reading!
~Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment